Sunday, September 23, 2007

I'm Proud To Be An American

I watched a show tonight on PBS, called "The War". It is an EXCELLENT account of WWII. Ken Burns puts it on, and if you know about Ken Burns, he's a great historian of our times. It's narrated by Mike Wallace and is on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, still. Record it if you can't watch it. Tonight's show was 21/2 hours, but I don't know how long the other shows will be. It highlights 4 American towns and some of the soldiers that served in the Armed Forces from those town. Just excellent! I know WWII was 66 years ago, but the events of that war and the aftermath of it, shaped the world we live in today. I learned things I didn't know, like the German submarines sank lots of American oil tankers and other merchant ships off the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. One submarine sunk 7 in one night, able to do so because large cities like New York, Boston and Miami didn't want to have blackouts, which they eventually succumbed to. I learned more about the American's trapped in the Phillipines and the Bataan Death March. And, after watching just one night, I have such a renewed sense of appreciation for the soldiers, sailors & marines that fought, were wounded and died in that and other wars.

I wonder how the soldiers that endured such hardships, nearly dying from starvation and disease, feel about God. Do they feel he doesn't care, or did they come out with a stronger belief in Him? Did they become bitter? How did they adjust? Surely all didn't. All the services that exist now for PTSD didn't exist then. They just came home, got a job, went to work and lived their lives. Raised their families. Built America.

And, it makes me a little ashamed that my dad didn't enlist. He was certainly the right age. I asked him once why it was that he didn't serve or get drafted. I don't remember now what he said, but it was a pretty vague answer. My aunt indicated one time that he was pretty chicken about enlisting and somehow managed to keep from going in. That's something I'd like to know when I see him again. I hope he had a good reason. Of course, if he had fought, and died, where would that leave me???

Anyway, I love America and am so grateful that I live where I live. And when I live here. I'm glad I wasn't born in 1782 or 1829 or 1906. Odd number that it is, 1955 was a good year. After all, Disneyland and I were born in the same year!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much thought into what your aunt told you about your dad. That's just her. And she usually doesn't have nice things to say. So for now, at least until you do see your dad again, I wouldn't be ashamed of him not enlisting or thinking he was chicken. Besides, where would that have left you? And we're glad you're here! Love ya.

The RealFatman said...

Hold on one second.... your post says you were kinda ashamed of your dad but when David told you he had enlisted how did you react?? I know my mom would have flown off the handle probably told me I had no idea what I was thinking and I was young and dumb for thinking that way and what not. So ?????? How did you react to that??