Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

9/11. Isn't that date just frozen in our memories? Today, 9/11/07 is significant for me for another reason than commemorating the terrorist attacks of 2001. Today, Michael leaves the MTC and heads off to Charleston. I'll be thinking of him all day, wondering where he is along the way. Someone asked me at church on Sunday if he'll be able to call from the airport. Gosh, I hope so! That would be awesome. But, if not, I know that sometime around 3:00 this afternoon, Las Vegas time, he should be arriving at the Charleston airport and will be on his way to the rest of his mission.

It still makes me so sad to review the events of 9/11/01. I was teaching Seminary and a boy came in just as class started and gave the opening prayer and asked that the Lord would bless the people in the plane that crashed. I asked him what he was talking about. He said he had heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. Well, I immediately thought a small, private plane. Probably 1 or two people. How could I have imagined what really had happened. Then, I got home and turned on the news. Nathan was home and he came downstairs and we watched for a bit before I had to go to work. All morning we just watched the TV. Not a lot of Routing or Scheduling was happening that day. I guess it's just a sign of the times we live in that this and other atrocities occur. I am reading a book by John Bytheway and in it he quotes someone as saying the best way to prepare for death is to live life each day with purpose. How often do we just float through our day? How often do we wonder, "if this was my last day on earth, would I do different things? Say different things? Think different things?" But, really, who wants to go around acting and feeling like there's no tomorrow? So, we go on with our "normal" day-to-day lives. Wasting a lot of time, sometimes. Making some serious difference other times. In the end, we just hope that what ever we did mattered.

Happy Tuesday!!!

No comments: