Sunday, August 12, 2007

Good day

Tonight, I'm going to bed a happy Mama. Michael spoke in church today and we had an open house for him tonight. I never counted, but there had to be at least 40 people here (adults). More, if you count the kids. It was nice to see the support Michael received as he's about to leave for his mission to W. Va. He looked like such a missionary today, in his white shirt and suit. All he needed was a name tag!

I read something the other day. I was at work, at lunch and logged onto lds.org and was reading the Ensign. I don't know who wrote the article, or even which article it was, but something in it really jumped out at me. The Bible Dictionary says,“Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them”. How many times have I prayed for things- wanting them so badly- and then, as an afterthought (if even then) adding "thy will be done". I think I should change that order. Seek to know His will and try to line up with it and ask for faith, courage, conviction, whatever I need to be able to be able to HONESTLY say, "thy will be done". There are times I don't think it matters one way or the other to Heavenly Father, as long as we chose with integrity. But, certainly he knows better than we ever will what is best for us, and sometimes what we want isn't in our overall best interest.

That's my food for thought for this week, I guess. I'm tired and going to bed.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh how I wish I was there! I love Mike. Tell him I wish him luck! And yes, I am alive...and I'm working on blogs today, so check back later and you'll get the full update!

Jerolyn said...

Aunt Beth,
Sunday was so nice and you did a great job with the food and all! Mike did look great and I enjoyed his talk. I can't believe he's old enough to be a missionary but he's a GREAT kid and will be an even GREATER man when he comes home in 2 years! I LOVE YOU ALL~Jer