Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sore toe

Warning!!! If you have an aversion to feet, you might not want to read this!

About a week ago, my left big toe started hurting. For the past few years I've been plagued with an ingrown tonail that rears it's ugly head every two-three months. Today, I ALMOST mustered the courage to call my podiatrist and schedule the dreaded ingrown tonail surgery procedure that I've witnessed 3 of my kids have. I don't worry about the procedure. It's the deadening I dread. (Say that 5 times really fast...Deadening I dread, deadening I dread). That minute or two of sheer, living hell, while the doctor numbs up your toe with shot after shot AFTER SHOT of novacaine into the already sore toe. Sometimes a little knowledge is NOT a good thing. But, I chickened out and decided instead to go see Mai, my pedicure girl who helps me out. Sometimes she's able to "operate" with little pain. Oh, not today. I had a major hotflash in the chair and wondered what in the world was I doing, avoiding the one person who could permanantly help me. But, I endured it and I'm hoping for big things tomorrow. Well, not big. Little. As in not swollen and gross. I'm not going into details. But, here is what my toe looks like now, post pedicurist working on it. Thank goodness it's summer and I can wear open toed sandals. Owwwww. I'm such a wuss when it comes to pain stuff. No pioneer stock in my blood!



10 comments:

Jerolyn said...

Oh man my stomache just got that "bad" feeling looking at that. GO get it taken care of. I did on both my toes and have never had a problem since. OUCH. The pain. I remember this guy who came into the Dr.s office when I worked there who had 7 ingrown toe nails. That was bad! ohhhhhhh

Rick/Dad/Grandpa/Mr. D said...

Hey, I've got a suggestion - take some pain meds BEFORE you go to the podiatrist! That'll make the shots not quite so painful (we Darringtons are WAY into the pain meds - has something to do with kidney stones). :-) And drop the ballet lessons. Dancing on your toes can't be good! :-)

Beth said...

Well, do you want to take me, because if I have the meds BEFORE, I definitely couldn't drive myself there and back! Really, can't we just do this under nice, general anesthetic where you go to sleep and wake up and it's over?!

Kathy said...

Okay, I'll stop complaining about the corn on my little toe.

Stac said...

gross

Jerolyn said...

cracking up at Stac's comment!

Stac said...

That first comment was from Nate of course. I, being the sick person I am think the toe looks good. Like a good pain. I am sure it hurts like heck but it is kind of a good hurt. Right??

Jerolyn said...

No it's certainly not a good hurt AT ALL!

annilee said...

Ohhhhh owwwwieeee! I'm so sorry! Good Luck!

Kourtney said...

I've had both of my big toes get horrible ingrown toenails in high school and had them both taken care of at the Dr. I've never has another problem (with my toes, that is). I say, go to the Dr. ASAP!