Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day





Today is Mother's Day. I have 5 wonderful kids that I love more than words can tell. They were all here at our house today, with the exception of Michael, of course. But, he called home and got to speak to everyone. He seems to be having a good time on his mission and is doing well. He got a fair share of razzing for not writing more, but I'm not expecting the flood gates to open in the letter writing department!
My kids were generous to me. Nate & Stacy gave me a gift of a massage from a therapist they know. Erin is taking me to lunch and a movie in a couple of weeks when we both have time. Sarah and family gave me a book and a gift certificate to Deseret Book. Howard gave me some flowers, made dinner for the kids (Stouffer's Lasagne, a tradition) and a promised gift certificate to Quiltique, a quilt shop I like. I've signed up for a beginners quilting class and I have no doubt that I'll be able to spend it with no problem!
I just want to give a shout out to all the mamas, I know and have known. There is no job or calling in this world that is harder to do well, and most of us, a lot of the time, feel that we're coming up short in the mothering department. Which, ironically, I think, is a good sign. If you CARE that you're not doing well, and worry about that, then you probably are. Its the people who don't care about how they do that we need to worry about! I watch my kids parent and see the tenderness and love they show their kids and are very happy for my grandkids to know that they are coming into families that love them. As a girl, I had only one big desire. To be a wife and mother. I was always afraid that I'd not be able to have children, because my aunt on my dad's side and my mother had difficulties. But, I was blessed. It's easy to complain about our kids, no matter what age they are, and heaven knows I've done and do my share of that. But, the truth is, I would be shattered if I lost one of them and would prefer to have them than to not have them. And, if I do it right, in the time I have left, I know I will have them FOREVER. Can it get better than that? I don't think so!

4 comments:

Jerolyn said...

how gorgeous are your girls??? Not to mention how handsome your boys are...DANG!!! Thems some fine lookin' people!!!

Leah and Dustin said...

Beth, I LOVED your post! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!! Beautiful words and so true. I've told my kids before that it's a tough job, being a mom sometimes and it is but at the end of the day there's no place I'd rather be! Thanks and happy Mother's day!

barlows said...

See, just remind yourself that we have each other forever when we're living in Armpit, Montana!

Beth said...

Don't even go there, Sarah!