Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Grateful

As part of my job, I sometimes have to go to IEP meetings. Individual Education Plan. For Special Education kids. Transportation likes to have a representative present to help assess with the team of people that makes decisions. Today I had an 8:00 appointment for an IEP for a 15 year old young man that had a TBI (traumatic brain injury). The saddest thing about this kid is that he was perfectly normal kid until about 4 years ago when he was involved in an accidental hanging. I heard later that he was playing around with some friends and things didn't go as they planned and now, he has this horrible injury. He can't walk, talk, or eat at all. He understands quite a bit that is said to him, and has the greatest smile. But, his life and the life of his family has changed in a way that is incomprehensible to me. I left that meeting feeling so humbled and grateful for my health and the healthy kids and grankids I have. Things happen in our lives in an instant that can change just everything.

And, I talked to Marsha today and let me just say this. CANCER SUCKS!!!!!

No comments: