Monday, March 16, 2009

Support is nice

It's a little unsettling to be, if not in the middle, definitely connected to, some negative drama. I'm not going in to all the details. You can read Sarah's blog for that. I'll just say this:

I have had shown to me, twice today, how important it is to have ALL facts before drawing a conclusion. I struggle all the time with that. I THINK I have all the facts, make a conclusion, only to sometimes find out that I didn't. And, if I knew before, what I later learn, my conclusion would have been different. And, to use a term I gladly credit Sarah with, I could have been more...GENEROUS with the other person...give them the benefit of the doubt.

We all have good days, better days, bad days, worse days and THE WORST days. In the overall scheme of things, having someone slander you or your intentions is seldom the end of the world, or even close to it. But, it can be upsetting.

This weight loss challenge that Sarah put together has proven to be a great motivator for many people. I'm glad of that. I look at Sarah and wonder WHERE in the world she finds the motivation to make it to the gym in spite of her crazy, busy schedule. And, all you have to do is look at her and see it's paying off, BIG TIME. I'm a joiner. I crashed my daughter, Erin's book club, for example, and really look forward to that experience. I go to parties. I love a fun time. And, because of that,I'm looking forward to the Weight Loss Challenge dinner on April 15th. However, I have NO delusions of winning this. Not because I'm not being good and sticking to my diet. I'm not going to win, because I would have to be on the REAL Biggest Loser and live in a gym to lose enough in the few short weeks before the final weigh in to actually BE the Biggest Loser in this competition. But, that's ok. I'm in this for the long haul. I'm losing 2-3 pounds (3 pounds would be great, but it's more like 2 pounds a week. That's not very dramatic, is it? But, I hope to continue to lose 2 pounds a week for a year. That's my goal. This is not a rapid weight loss program for me. This is a slow and steady weight loss program. I joined the challenge initially looking for whatever motivation I could get. And,if I managed to win (what were the odds?, great. However, believing that I'm not going to win, I'm more than happy to contribute $20 if it helps motivate others to lose their weight like I have struggled for years to lose mine.

I have a lot of people rooting for me to be successful. For lots of reasons. Very low on the list of reasons is about how I look. I think though that I'd be kidding you and myself to say that isn't a perk I'm hoping to experience! I've learned through sad experience that when "how you look" is your main motivator, unless you are AMAZINGLY vain, it's not long lasting. The real motiviation (to accomplish ANY goal) HAS to be much more long term and health based.

I appreciate support, as we all do, in whatever form it comes. Everyone has their own battles to fight. Some are obvious, some aren't. I thank all of you who have voiced your support, written it or even just sent me a positive thought.

Here's to meeting our goals...whatever they may be.

5 comments:

Jerolyn said...

Here, Here, Amen, and Halla~jula!

Marsha said...

You go girlfriend!! 2 pounds a week is great. Losing weight isn't easy, you can do it!

Leah said...

Well said...
I'm happy for you!

Megan said...

Good for you Beth!

Kathy said...

You're doing the hardest thing in the world to do. Congrats on your progress. Keep it up!