Friday, March 27, 2009

Something to be thankful for

Yesterday and today have been really stressful at work. As many of you know, the economy in Nevada has taken a serious hit. The people aren't coming, spending and filling the state cofers. So, when funding for our school district is cut, cut, cut, eventually those cuts mean people are going to lose jobs. It's finally happening in our department.

Yesterday about 30 people got notice that their jobs are being eliminated. It's a complicated thing, but depending on who you speak to and how you interpret what you read, some of these people may not end up actually unemployed, but they could be placed in jobs that have NOTHING to do with their current job. Or, maybe they will be unemployed, I'm not sure. All I do know is that, FOR NOW, I still have a job. I'm grateful for that job. I've always been grateful for it, even on days that I'd just rather not get out of bed and go to it. Even on days where things go wrong. Over the years I've made a lot of friends and acquaintences and it's so sad to me to know that some of these people are experiencing the consequenses of this economic downturn. Single mothers. Single fathers. REAL people. People who have worked at their job for years. YEARS. And, for no fault of their own, might end up without a job at all.

So, today, as always, but maybe especially today, I'm grateful for my job. And, my friends. And all my blessings.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

So sad to see these things happening. Glad to hear you still have your job.