Saturday, April 5, 2008

Amazing.....Grace!

I just finished watching the movie Amazing Grace. It is the AMAZING story of the man who nearly single handedly abolished the slave trade from England. The United Kingdom in the 1700s and early 1800s was a world superpower, as you probably already know. But, the money to run the navy, that gave England the superiority she had, (most of it anyway), came from England's colonies. Many of those colonies were in the western hemisphere; America, Jamaica, Haiti, etc. William Wilberforce was a young, up and coming politician, who was friends with the man that wrote the words to the hymn Amazing Grace. That is a fantastic story in itself. He was a former slave ship captain of 20 years who "repented his sin" and spent the rest of his life trying to make up for what he done and wrote the words to the hymn after his conversion to Christ. William was inclined to give up politics to pursue a more religious and benign profession, but was persuaded to combine his belief in the wrongness of the slave trade with politics. After many years in the Parliament and several puttings forth of a bill to end the slave trade, the timing was right and England finally abolished it.

Watching a movie like that, makes me wonder about one's purpose in life. Am I fulfilling my purpose or am I just muddling along, not really making any difference. I realize not everyone is meant to be heroes. But, I think to ponder ones purpose is, well, good.

We all have gifts. At least one. Scriptures tell us that, and so I know it's true. I have spent a good amount of time pondering what my gift(s) is/are. I think I've identified a few of them. I think many of us won't know until we get to the other side. Singing, definitely& sadly, isn't one of them, however!

It's General Conference weekend and I do have to say, gotta love church at home on the TV & in your jammies if you want. Good to know who our new apostle is, D. Todd Kristopherson. He spoke at a press conference and I have to say, I liked what I saw and heard. Like I wouldn't. Like it would matter if I didn't!

Here's to good movies! And Marsha, if you read this...POST!!!!!

No comments: