Thursday, May 14, 2009

At the carwash...Blech!

So...today, on my 60 minute lunch hour, I had to go to the CCSD main office and pick up an "official" copy of Michael's high school transcripts because I'm trying to get the boy/man applied for and hopefully accepted to UNLV. Yeah, 6 months ago that would have been a really good idea. Anyway...it's taking forever and today I was finally able to go pick them up.

I had 15 minutes to be back to work when I approached the gas station/car wash I used to frequent. Frequently. I glanced at my gas gauge an it was between 1/4 & 1/2 full. Thinking of our Stake President's counsel to always keep our cars full, I thought, "get gas now. You'll be glad later".

So, I did. Self serve pump. Two-three minutes to get the gas. "Do you want a car wash?" flashed on the screen. Because it hasn't rained in FOR-EVER, my car wasn't all that dirty, but it's probably been 3 weeks or more since I washed it and since I had a good 10 minutes, till I had to be at work (3 minutes away) I thought I'd do the car wash. So, I bought the carwash and drove to it. Punched in my code. Hit #1, which is the secret combination to get the wash going. Secret combination is right! The soap came squiriting out, the water started spraying, but the car didn't move. The conveyor chain-y thing didn't engage. I sat there for at least 2 minutes, waiting for something to happen. I tried to back up, but it had come up behind my rear tire, but wasn't moving me forward, so I was stuck. I opened the car door to get out so I could go into the store, stepping in at least an inch of water that had puddled as it poured out of the squirting, spraying car-not-wash. Got sprayed with soapy water. Went in. Told the clerk what was going on. She said, "well, it's because you didn't press 1!". "Uh, excuuuuuse me, but I did", I thought. I can follow directions, lady. So, I told her I did. She then turned to the man clerk and told him to go check and see if the thing was stuck. Again. What?! So, I hurried back to my car, hopped in and put it back in neutral, in case it got going. So, Mr. Clerk had punched in some magic numbers while he was still int he store to give me a new code to restart the process. All this time, I'm looking at my watch, thinking, "this better happen fast, or I'm going to be late back to work. So, he brings some tool thing with him and lo and behold, the conveyor works. My car goes into the car wash. The one that's been squirting and spraying for a good 5 minutes, now. You know those straps that hang down that jiggle and shake and clean your car? The first thing you go through on your way through? Well, mine weren't jiggling or shaking, they were just hanging there. But, I had lots of soap and water, and the car wasn't too dirty, so I thought...oooookaaaaaaay. Whatever. Well, what comes next? Rinse, right? Wrong! No water to rinse off the soap was sqirting out! Hmm...I'm thinking this isn't looking too good. But, what WAS working? The wind tunnel, dryer. That's right, I got soap blown dry onto my car. Streaky soap. Well, Mr. Clerk was standing at the exit of the car wash to make sure everything was ok, and was I glad to see him. I'm now offiially supposed to be back at work. But, I have dried soap all over my car. I opened my window to tell him what had happened. But, wait...I'm still not out completely of the wind tunnell. Here's a little piece of advice. Do NOT open your car window in a car wash wind tunnel. I quickly closed the window and waited till I was pushed a little further out. So, I told him and THEN, he pulls the magic new code he punched up out of his pocket and handed it to me and said, go back through! So, I raced around, punched in the new code, and luckily the car went through with jiggly hangey down things AND rinse water. Busted out of the car wash, and made it back to work. 5 mintues late. I think. I hope that was all. Whew! All because I was trying to be OBEDIENT!

4 comments:

The RealFatman said...

Yeah I feel your pain those car washes blow LOL

Stac said...

this is nate.

K, that totally sucks but is way funny. Sometimes it's just better to let the car be dirty. NOT worth all that hassle. A good hose down every couple months is good.

lbozyone said...

Beth this story is so funny. I am so sorry you had such bad luck at the car wash. I was laughing as I was reading with a picture in my mind.

Marsha said...

Beth you crack me up! Thanks for the good laugh!!