Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Why I like TV

I watch TV and find a lot of enjoyment in some shows. I will most likely NEVER be one of those people who "just don't watch TV". I probably should read more books and one day perhaps I will regret the TV I watch, both the quality and quantity of it. But, one thing I do love about TV (and movies) is a well turned phrase. Now, those of you who know me, know I do love to converse. But, I don't know that I'm particularly good at it. But, sometimes, when I watch a TV show, the writers put together a dialog that, to me, is downright inspiring in the well-put-togetherness-of-the-words. Tonight, I was watching Monday night's "Boston Legal" (thank you DVR!!!), in my opinion, on of the best written TV shows on TV (and I'm sad this is the last year it's on). It presents all sorts of pertinent political and social and legal issues and always shows at least 2 sides to every argument. Here is a short excerpt of a dialog I love because it is EXACTLY how I feel, but NEVER could have phrased it so well...
Denny Crane (ultra conservative) tells his best friend Alan Shore (liberal) that he's surprised Alan owns a gun (Denny owns many, many guns). Alan said, "It's in my safe, at home. I see nothing wrong with THAT. I see a lot wrong with assault weapons; people walking around like you with guns (Denny had been arrested for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit)". Denny said, "I can't fathom a liberal like you owning a gun". Alan said, (and this is the part I loved), "That's one of the problems in the country...there are two camps...those that like guns and those that don't. Why can't there be a middle? Why can't we say ok to guns and ok to gun legislation? Why does it make someone a pinko liberal girl if he supports background checks and bans on assault weapons?"
Someone should make a T-Shirts with that on it and sell them. I bet a lot of people would buy them.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I feel for you Beth - we are going to miss Boston Legal too. One of the best shows on TV. Isn't it awesome that Denny and Alan can be such good friends? It's a good example of what is so great about America. It's a shame that more people can't sit out on a balcony, smoke cigars and intelligently talk to each other, even though they disagree. And then have sleepovers together!

Beth said...

Well, I could pass on the stinky cigar thing, but you're right. "Let's just agree to disagree" and not get all bent out of shape over it!

Marsha said...

Ewwwww no wet stinky cigar for me. But there friendship is remarkable.