Saturday, October 11, 2008

Sleep Study #2

So, it's 6:10 AM on Saturday morning. I just got home about 20 minutes ago from my 2nd sleep study. This time, I wore my usual sleepwear, which helped a LOT in the comfort level. Plus, the technician hooked me up with a little more leeway on the leads attached to my legs which meant that I could move around and not feel like I was tethered to a short rope. I was fitted with a mask (like an oxygen mask) that strapped to my head, after they hooked up all the leads to me (head, chest, legs, arms). Air is pumped into the mask. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to breathe. So, I went to sleep and as I slipped into REM sleep and apnic events occured, the technician would increase the air flow. The air keeps the airway open. Once I would get into REM sleep, she would come on the intercom and ask me to sleep on my back. OK, I can NOT sleep flat on my back. KILLS the low back, thank you, herniated disc (disk?)! So, of course, then I couldn't get into REM sleep and after several times of going through this, I would just finally roll over so I could get back to sleep. Then, she would come on again and tell me AGAIN to get on my back. It was a better experience than last time, though. I could at least BREATHE when I was on my back, so if I could get my back to not hurt, that would be FANTASTIC! So, now I wait to get my very own, CPAP machine for home. I was really surprised at how quite the machine was. Maybe I'm on my way to not being tired all the time!

4 comments:

The RealFatman said...

Beth I first have to Say I love you!! Second that crap machine is gonna make you have such better days. I personally do not have the craptastic machine but David does and if he did not sleep with it he would have his own room and I have seen him have really bad days.
Second it is found that the gastric bypass usually eliminates sleep apnea. Anyway I hope all is good and you sleep good tonight!!

Beth said...

C P AP, Daniel, not C R AP! Yeah, I'm hoping it will help.

Jerolyn said...

sweet dreams are on there way baby!

Marsha said...

I'm with Jerolyn, sweet dreams don't let the bed bugs bite.