Saturday, July 28, 2007

Has it really been 20 days since I posted???

I know I haven't posted in a really long time, but I'm here. Most everyone that reads this knows that, too.

I just got back from a quick trip to Idaho/Utah. Howard, Mike, Dave & I went up for the Catlin reunion, which is Howard's mom's family. There were 11 kids, 10 of whom lived to adulthood. LOTS of descendents. They've had this reunions since before I was in the family (31 years). There are so many younger generations now that I don't know, it's weird. We got there on Friday and learned that the youngest sibling of the 11 kids had died that morning! Midge. She had said something along the lines of "I'd give anything to get out of going to this reunion this year". Like someone said, she didn't give "any"thing, she gave "every" thing. Sad, really. We got to see some of her kids that we hardly ever get to see, and that was nice. Losing a parent just is a sad thing and I'm sorry for their loss.

It was nice to have Dave & Mike with us for one last together-time trip. And, next to seeing Randy and Dan, the main perk of the trip???? TACO BANDITO. I had a feeling that it would be the only stop there, so I had a Banditio Burrito AND a (small) Macho Nacho AND a cherry empanada. The only 3 things I have EVER eaten there in 30 years. The rest of the menu is wasted on me. 2nd best perk? Mill End Fabrics where I hit the mother-lode for cute, adorable flannel to make baby receiving blankets out of. Makes me realize how sad the selection is in Las Vegas.

After the reunion, I hooked up with Marsha and we drove to SLC. We drove as far as Brigham City and stayed at the Crystal Inn on Sun. night. VERY nice room. We talked and talked. Finally fell asleep around midnight. I'm always interested in what time I will wake up when I'm on vacation. I'm up at 4:30 this summer, on work days. Even on Sunday's I'm usually awake by 6:00 or 6:30. It's hard, because no one else is ever up as early as I am and I have to tiptoe around and not make noise and do the things I'm up and raring to do, so I piddle around doing quiet things so as not to wake people up. Anyway, on vacation, I find that a quiet, dark room is helpful in the sleep department. IF the bed is comfortable, which it wasn't, to me, on Sunday night. Way too soft for my back. Marsha loved hers. I was awake by 6:00. So, I read until 8:30 or so when Marsha woke up. She doesn't sleep well usually, and I didn't want to wake her for sure. We got up and drove to SLC, meeting Calleen in the middle. Centerville, or somewhere and had lunch at Chipotle. Calleen made the room reservations an we got a room at the HowardJohnson's EXPRESS. Had a lovely view of the HUGE, OLD apartment building to the west of us. But, you know, who cares? We were there to spend time with each other!

We talked and talked and talked and just caught up. It was great that Calleen got to come, because while Marsha and I never miss a summer, Calleen often can't make it. She's a good person. Seriously. Not an evil bone in her. She only wants to do what is right. Assumes the best in everyone. Kind and loving. Has been through colon cancer and came out ok. THAT was scary. Eats very healthy-ly now. Good example in all ways.

We were in SLC on July 24, Pioneer Day. GREAT day to visit the Temple Square sites, because NO one was around, hardly. The streets were deserted, nearly. Saw the Joseph Smith movie a the JSM buildng. Very touching. Then, we talked some more. All we did other than that was talk and go get something to eat when we got hungry. It amazed me that we can be together for 3 days and never run out of new things to discuss. AND, we all are interested in what the other says. Long stories. You know, girlfriend speak. It sustains me. I NEED this time together once a year.

We're down to 25 days before Michael enters the MTC. I told Howard last night that I really can't think to much about him leaving, because I'm going to miss him so much. Really, when I think about it, I consciously put it out of my mind. Denial, you say? Maybe, but not really, I don't think. We got his suit/shirt shopping done while we were enroute to Idaho, thanks to a conveniently located Mr. Macs in Ogden. His last day of work was yesterday, so he's got 24 days to get together whatever he needs to before he goes. I'm hoping he starts on his room and cleans some stuff out and makes room for my SEWING ROOM I'm converting it to. Oh, I have plans. I hope they happen!

It rained while I was gone. Figures. I hope it rains again. Never thought I'd say this, but I love it when it rains now. When I left Louisiana 32 years ago, I swore if it never rained again, I wouldn't care. Changed my mind about that.

I guess this is enough REALLY IMPORTANT, VITAL-FOR-YOU-TO-READ stuff for now. It's great to be home and have ALL my kids back in town. At least for the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Hooray! I love that you finally updated me! :) I need to update mine too. I'm happy that you decided to convert Mike's room to a sewing room. Now that I don't need my desk for a homework/study spot, it is being converted to scrapbooking/sewing! Yay!